Specialty pharmacies, like Kings, are pharmacies that cater to special disease states, like Hemophilia, Hepatitis C, and Infertility. There are two kinds of specialty pharmacies: 1. those who carry only specialty medications and 2. those who carry specialty medications and also compound their own.
Although many organizations have different standards for what qualifies a drug as being a "specialty medication", generally, a specialty pharmaceutical drug may have some or all of the following key characteristics:
- Is used for the treatment of complex, chronic, and/or rare conditions
- Has a high cost, often exceeding $10,000 annually
- Not widely available. (ie, only availability through exclusive, restricted, or limited distribution)
- Requires special storage, handling, and/or administration requirements (some medications may need to be stored at specific temperatures and/or administered through an IV or other injection technique.)
- May require ongoing monitoring for safety and/or efficacy (specifically drugs like hep c, which require frequent monitoring of the liver)
- May require special approval to be ordered - not available through a traditional MD. It may also require a “prior authorization,” (a PA) by your insurance company, which means your insurance company needs to review why a drug has been prescribed before agreeing to pay for it. If you don’t get prior authorization, the medication may cost you more, or it may not be covered at all.
What are the most common Specialty Medications prescribed for?
At Kings, we carry a variety of specialty medications. Those include, Cardiovascular drugs, Custom Compounded Medications, Medications for Crohn's Disease, Fertility or Infertility meds, Hemophilia, Hepatitis C, HIV/AIDS, IVIG Therapy, Oncology, Rheumatology, Transplant medications, and more.
Where do I get specialty drugs?
Depending on which state you live in, your state may have certain requirements about which pharmacies you are able to use. Many pharmacies are able to ship drugs nationwide with same-day or next-day shipping. If you live in a smaller or more rural town, often times you can buy medication from a larger pharmacy and save money on your medications. Our New York based pharmacy, for example, services the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin.
- Your doctor can send a prescription electronically to:
- Kings Pharmacy
Address: 357 Flatbush Ave., Brooklyn, NY, 11238
- Kings Pharmacy
- Order through your regular retail pharmacy. Not all pharmacies fill prescriptions for specialty drugs, so check first.
- Or, you can refill or transfer a prescription here.
Have pharmacy questions?
Send your questions to [email protected] and we'll answer as best we can!